Ginger Bread Cookies

Wow, it's november already! Can you believe it? I can't. Maybe it has something to do with the weather here in The Netherlands. Sun is still shining, temperatures are still around twenty degrees Celsius. Every now and then we have a little storm and some drops of rain, but that's it. I could have liked it and would have enjoyed it, if I didn't find it so alarming (in terms of the greenhouse effects). 

Despite the weather I'm doing some X-mas preps. My girls are playing a little game on their iPads where they have to decorate Gingerbread Dolls and I promised them I would bake them some real ginger cookies for X-mas to decorate. So now I'm trying out different recipes, because I never made gingerbread cookies before. 
Unfortunately I forgot to buy the right butter and because the nearest supermarket brings out the worse in me (fresh products that are rotten; cat grit through the whole store so the wheels of shopping carts don't and won't turn; long, LONG rows of people waiting at the register; store attendents who can't help you with just the simplest things, to name just a few things), I had to think of something to replace it. Sunflower oil, I thought, let's give that a try.

I found a recipe for gingerbread cookies and replaced the amount of butter for the same amount of oil. The consistency of the dough was promising, so after I added all the other ingredients I rolled cookies and put them in the oven for ten minutes. After five minutes the cookies had risen so much that they became one big cook. After another five minutes they were ready to eat, considering their color. 
Conclusion: oil isn't the same as butter. Is by far not the same as butter. 

To the store I went. Another try.

And here they are: Gingerbread Cookies, baked with butter. Don't think I will try another recipe. These are great!

 www.betweennapsontheporch.net

What you need:
165 grams of butter
200 grams of sugar
1 egg 
1 tablespoon of sugar syrup
250 grams of flower
1 tablespoon of ginger powder (or 2, like I did, 'cause I looove the taste of ginger)
1 teaspoon of baking soda

What to do:
Mix all the ingredients together until you have a firm dough. Make little balls and press them flat for round cookies. Bake for about ten minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. That's all, folks! Bon appetit!


Comments

  1. I usually make gingerbread cookies out of polymer clay, but I will pin this recipie in case Ideside to make real yummy cookies! (found this post at Craftastic Monday link party)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm going to make a gingerbread cookie out of polymer clay! What a great idea for X-mas decoration!!

      Delete
  2. Looks like they turned out perfectly :) Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Air Mail

Crochet Bag