King's Day

It's King's Day in the Netherlands today and while for most of the Dutch people that means traveling from everywhere in the country to the capital city to drink beer until they drop down, for us, the mothers (and sometimes the fathers), it means selling old toys or self made stuff from and with our kids. Or not exactly with our kids, but more on our own, because after three minutes the kids take off with their friends and the mothers have to run the business. 

My daughters have been busy all weekend making earrings. My husband made a nice board for them to hang the earrings from. Unfortunately the weather forecast says snow (the first time we have snow this year, now that it's spring; unbelievable), so I so hope for my daughters, and also a lot for myself, the weatherman will be wrong.
 




To eat after selling I made orange tompouces (Napoleons). Everything is orange and red/white/blue at King's Day, because Van Oranje (meaning 'from orange') is the surname of the Dutch king and red/white/blue are the colors of the Dutch flag. 



Comments

  1. Oh this is such a delightful and interesting post! Welcome to our TOHOT party.
    I did not know these facts about orange, the Dutch celebration and the King.
    I really like your earrings and hope that the snow stayed far away!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting information that you shared with us. I didn't know all of these details about King's Day.
    Thank you for sharing this at TOHOT!

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love that tradition, it must be so exciting to participate and your earrings turned out so so cute! I'm sure they'll sell like crazy! Thanks for sharing at Sweet Inspiration #4! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was such fun to learn about this holiday! I am a bit late to the TOHOT party this week due to my college semester finals but I'm so glad that I didn't miss this. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about traditions from other parts of the world! The earring and display board are wonderful! Hope the day turned out nice for everyone! Thank you for sharing with us at Brag About It!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz, Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party! Always great to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so neat! I love this post!

    I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was interested to read about King's Day, Liz. I love learning more about the holidays and events in other countries. Our cousins, who are from Holland, always talk about King's Day but I didn't realise what happened on the day! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - Just wanted to let you know that I've featured this post at this week's Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments! Thank you for telling what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Plague Doctor (free pattern)

Crochet Bag

Fisherman's Lamp